Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Stripes

No, I'm not talking about the Bill Murray flick. I'm talking about those beautiful green stripes you may have noticed in my last office post. Those stripes were quite the adventure! Seven long days of measuring, marking, taping, painting, peeling, taping, painting again. But boy was it worth it! I love them!
I knew I wanted stripes in ou
r office and thought green would provide the relaxing feel I was going for. I went down to Lowe's and picked up a handful of paint chips, picked my fave one and headed to Wal-Mart where they matched my $30/gallon color to their Bay Green by ColorPlace for about half the price. Next they mixed a gallon of the same green, only 60% lighter. This way I knew my colors would have the same base.
Usually picking a color is the hard part, this time color was easy, prep work was not. Again, I called in my tall man (what would I do if I hadn't married a 6'5" guy?) First, we measured 12 inch stripes and marked them with a pencil in three places up the wall, then
with a laser line we taped our lines. I started with two coats of the lighter shade, then peeled tape while the second coat was still wet. If you've ever peeled painters tape before you know the line you get where a little paint seeps under and you've got a nice line to one side. After letting the light green dry for 36 hours I followed the lines from before and taped for the darker color. But before I added my second color I went around the room real quick with a brush and my lighter color, I painted a quick coat on the tape to make a seal. After that dried I continued with two coats of Bay Green and pulled tape.
And voila! We have stripes!



Blessings.

Linking to: Centsational Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment