Monday, May 2, 2011

What A Weekend

What an eventful weekend. I kicked off my weekend by watching the Royal Wedding. I wasn't up at 2 am, I DVR'd the coverage and watched it later in the morning.
I caught a lot of grief about it from some friends but that's okay. Prince William is only a few months older than I am and I find it fascinating, that in his late twenties he leads the life he does. I don't know, something about it just amazes me. It is SO far from the life I lead. The whole Royal family interests me.
Can I just say, this dress is A-MAZ-ING!! Don't you think? I thought Kate Middleton looked stunning!
We spent Saturday morning in a meeting at church and the afternoon at my Mom's house. We were there to watch the Mariners beat the Red Sox. It was a great game, I thought. My Mom was able to play with our little chicks and the Tall Man and I watched the game.
Sunday morning we woke up early and headed out to the Fisherman's Breakfast an hour away, where my Dad lives. Every year the fire department in this small town host a Fisherman's breakfast with pancakes, sausage patties, hash browns, fried eggs and coffee or juice. Can you hear the cholesterol rising?
When asked how many pieces of sausage they'd like our chicks said two, thinking they were getting the puny links they get at home. They were pretty surprised when they saw these huge sausage patties. They ate every bite though.
We came home, worked around the house and yard for a bit then headed out to a picnic at the park with our small group. It was absolutely wonderful! The kids played on the play structure and rode their bikes and scooters around the park. The adults talked and threw a football or softball around. Good times with very good people.
Our weekend ended with the news of Bin Laden's death. Immediately I felt a sense of victory and pride for our nation. I felt a sense of relief for those who lost loved ones on September 11. I felt excitement for the men and women who have fought so hard for our country.
Then I watched coverage of people singing and dancing in the streets celebrating the death of this criminal. I am relieved to hear Bin Laden, himself, is no longer a threat to our country. What he masterminded on September 11, 2001 was absolutely awful. But as I watched my fellow citizens celebrate I thought of the way Osama's people celebrated when our country suffered such great loss. I thought, "Are we any better?" Then I started thinking about what our Lord would think of the way this was all playing out.
Ezekiel 33:11 says " I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live." These words are from God's mouth. This makes it difficult for me to take pleasure in the death of any one.
I realize by saying this I may lose a few followers and that's okay. We are all entitled to our own opinions, this is simply mine. Don't doubt that my American flag still flies high and I am proud to call this country my home. Instead of dancing right now I choose to pray for the safety and future of this beautiful nation.


Blessings.

1 comment:

  1. I wholeheartily agree with the scripture, I can not take joy in the celebrating in the streets the death of any man, it is not my place to judge him. I consider myself a fortunate person to be living in America and am proud of our country and those who have died, fought or are still fighting for our freedom. I can't help but feel, however, that the timing behind this will have more of a political punch for Mr Obama than I would like to see him receive credit for. Our troops deserve our support far more than him as an individual.

    ReplyDelete