Monday, November 15, 2010

Thankful Banner

We're fifteen days into November and I'm just now making my first Thanksgiving post. I apologize. My life is crazy right now and it's out of my control.
This thankful banner is something my friend Jamie and I made last November after being inspired by the oh so talented Kate at Centsational Girl. She's awesome and I love what she does!
So, on to the "how to"... I used burnt orange card stock and my Cricut to cut the letters out. We picked up some copper colored glitter with a coupon from Michael's and I think three sheets of two different patterned paper. I already had the brown ribbon and leaves so we were set there.
These banners were pretty easy to make but I have to admit my dining room was sparkling when we were done. And I don't mean sparkling clean. ;-)
We brushed Mod Podge on the letters using a foam brush and quickly sprinkled the glitter on top. Using a paper plate under the letters helped a lot. Have two plates handy and you can switch back and forth, pouring the glitter from plate to plate.
We used decorative scissors to cut our patterned paper and double sided tape to attach it to solid burnt orange card stock. Finally we attached brown brads to thread the ribbon through and attach the letters together. We also punched holes in the fabric leaves to give it a little more Autumn touch.
I don't have a mantel so I hung my banner on the curtains in our dining room. I like the way the light paper pops against the chocolate brown curtain. It's also fun because when my Tall Man opens the curtains to go out the slider he sometimes gets a little copper glitter in his hair.

Hope you're off to a better start than I am at Thanksgiving decor.

Harvest Blessings.

1 comment: